Tuesday, September 18, 2007

 

The best update I can give you

I made a very important decision yesterday - I'm not applying for any PhD programs for next year.

This might come as a surprise to some readers as I've always been known for my enjoying school and my success in it. But this is a decision I've made with conviction.

The reasons are as follows:

1) My heart (or "gut" if that helps your visualization) is telling me not to.

I'm not saying I wouldn't apply for some in coming years, nor am I saying I will. I just have had a very strong feeling that whatever I do next year is not going to be start working on a PhD.

At this point I'ld invite your comments and criticisms. I have many other points to ramble on about this but for once I don't feel like making a long post full of horrible spelling mistakes.

Comments:
I believe I've said this before, but it isn't a bad idea to get some extra-academic experience in engineering before pursuing a PhD. Granted, I'm saying this from an "outside" perspective, and it isn't required that your PhD subject be the focus of your future life's work... but wouldn't it be nice to see things in the field to determine what exactly you're going to pour a few years of your life into?

I've got more to say, but I'd also like to see some of the other comments (regarding the blog, or this comment) before I elaborate further.

/the rock tumbler, or the tv?
 
Thanks for the comment shaef and I agree.

A more key factor could be: Is there a place that you're so hell bent on living that you'll live there first and find a job second, even if it means taking a job outside of the traditional bounds of your "field"?
 
The most important thing is to be happy. The beauty of a MSc is that you can try something new; even if you don't like it, the degree is so short that you should gut it out. A PhD isn't like that though. This is where you really become a researcher and you'd better make sure it's what you want before you get into it. Any doubt is reason enough not to do it. If there's one word that summarizes graduate studies, it's "sacrifice". You owe it to yourself to do something that you enjoy, whether it's in academia or not. Unless you're willing to embrace a PhD programme, then you could become a drifter...I've seen it happen.
 
I'm finding it hard to avoid the obvious joke from the "follow your gut" comment.
 
Me too Doug. In fact, if I wasn't so serious about this issue, I would have. Many times Sam would mention his "gut feeling" when we lived together. I'd respond by saying "That's a big feeling."

/door knockers union
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?