Friday, February 16, 2007

 

I'm doing it

I was just reading a post on my friend Dan-o's blog about how people work in jobs to make enough money to do what they really want to do. I think he made a great case.

The reason I am making this post is because I have to share with you dear readers something that another full fledged member of the boys boys and all around non-generic guy Neils Mo said one time. Neil and I were discussing how we have both been in school for much longer than most people on PEI expect a person to be. From time to time we have both been questioned by lesser informed people about why we're on the path we're on. Neil hit the nail right on the head with some timeless wisdom I'ld like to share with you all:

"They always ask me 'so what are you going to do with your life when you're done?' so I respond - what do you mean? This is my life. I'm doing it right now"

/getting changed my ass!

Comments:
Indeed, academia is a career choice. As is driving a milk truck or a life of organized crime. Mmmmm... organized crime.

I think the point that the common islander fails to realize is that a masters degree is a job, with many traits common to joe jobs. Just because you can't describe your job in a brief single sentence composed of monosyllabic words (e.g. I drive the milk truck), doesn't mean that your career path isn't "real life."

/that's-a nice-a donut
 
Thanks for the creditage (Rickyism), but Jun Allard actually gave that advice to me. He's a smart fellow.

/dite!
 
In the Russian Mafia, organized crime and the academic world have coexisted quite well. The Russian mob uses lots of former math and computer science professors to create elaborate fraud scams involving banks and credit cards.

The Russian mob was responsible for using fake ATM machines to steal peoples banking information. Thats why I never use a no-name bank machine at a bar. Plus its stupid to pay a three dollar service charge when taking out twenty bucks.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?