Saturday, September 09, 2006

 

Strongman Part One

On Thursday of the last week of August I was scheduled to be a helper at the strongman contest in the Acadian Festival at the rink in Abram-Village. When I got there I tried my hand at three of the five events and decided to enter it. Here's the story:

First event was a tractor pull. Competators lie down with their legs against a firmly secured platform and pull the tractor between the blue lines on the rink (fifty feet) as fast as they can. I got it in just about the time limit, 75 seconds. The winners were in the high twenties and I actually bet one guy from moncton who didn't finish pulling it. It was a relatively small tractor which weighed about 4500 lbs. I was proud because it was my first event and the adrenaline was flowing pretty fast. I couldn't believe I was pulling a tractor! Also this was one of the events I didn't get to try previously so the pressure was on to perform in front of the 500+ crowd.



The next event was the lobster traps and the one I felt I was most confidant in. We had to stack lobster traps on a platform, a row of 3 topped by a row of 2 topped by 1. That's easy you say. Except for the 200 lbs of cement in the bottom of each trap.
I got the bottom 3 in place well but couldn't do any more based on a lack of proper strength and height. Shown here is one of the volunteers, Jules Gallant (brother to Pierre Gallant who Daniel and I played soccer with) putting a trap back into place for the next competitor.Next was the log flip in which we had 75 seconds to flip a large log which was on a hinge (making it much easier) as many times as possible. I got six and was again proud of my showing


Next was the farmer's walk, an event that I had good confidance for but ended up being (in my opinion) my worst one. You had to pick up a pair of weights with a combined weight of 500 lbs and walk as far as you could in 75 seconds. I only made it 50 feet which was by far the least of any of the 9 competitors but I feel is still respectable when put in perspective. My trouble wasn't lifting the weights it was grip strength. As I walked every step made the weights shake and I would stuggle to not drop them. It was still really fun though. Here's another guy doing it

Oops it appears blogger is saturated with pictures. I'll contine in another post above this one


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?