Tuesday, September 12, 2006

 

The first day

Yesterday was the first day of school here and I went in to talk to my supervisor and another prof I'm going to take a course with. They were both super cool which is great and a pleasant change from the last few years. I think I'll really like it here. The residence I live in is awsome. There's a community center where we can use pool tables and foosball and a big screen tv and we can borrow movies to watch at home. There's talk of forming a house intramural team which I would probably go for. I've been to the gym once and I'll go again tonight.

My supervisor gave me my first project - sketch out what I think our research will be including a problem, a procedure and method. He seems really in touch with my level of understanding of what graduate work should be - that is that I'm still figuring things out. The other prof I'm taking a course with is a cool guy and we chatted in his office for a long time. He's from Newfoundland so he understands what it is to leave home to go to a school that's just not available to you at home.

I ate a meal at the cafeteria for res students yesterday but I wouldn't rush back. It was good but it cost WAY too much money - 16 bucks. To be fair I had an unreasonable amount of food but come on sixteen bucks for chicken nuggets potatoes and veggies and soup and cake and milk and fruit salad. I think people who buy their food through a meal plan get it a lot cheaper, but I'm not totally sureh how that works.

Also the parking people are a little bit jerky. I had to buy a permit to keep my car in residence and it was 100$ for 4 months - UNB was 80 for the year. The thing that really got me though is that if I wanted to drive to class it would cost an extra 120$. That's off the wall! When the security lady told me that I was like "Oh well that seems reasonable" and she didn't even clue in that I was being sarcastic. I want to walk most days but I wanted the option of driving if the weather was bad. Jerks.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?