Sunday, May 21, 2006

 

A good trip to Hali - Alternate title - Doug has the Juiciest Meat Around

As my good friend Neil Moore resides in Halifax as he studies at Dal I thought it would be a great opportunity to catch up with this old boy boy and save myself a hotel fee by staying at his pad while in town for my powerlifting meet. I arrived at Dal Friday around supper to get him and verified I was in fact the real Sam by the following quote in reaction to an add on one of the Dunn building's many bulliten boards "Volunteer Abroad... Why the fuck would you want to do that?"

Neil took me for a delicious Peanut Butter Burger at Daryll's after some bullshit you can read on his blog. The night reminded me how good it is to be around someone who finally gets my inside jokes like "I saw the director's cut and it was a fuckin' wicked movie".

Saturday night after the meet I was in a mood to relax and not worry about stupid stuff like I usually do so we went to Wolfville to see the king of relaxation Mr. Douglas Keefe himself. Upon arrival I was informed Doug has a delicious BBQ steak for each Neil and I. Much appreciated. As I was eating it in the living room of Paulette's place one of the girls, I think it was Amy, said she didn't have any supper yet and was feeling really hungry. I offered her a bit of my steak and she would take that but not a big piece as I offered to her. A series of random jokes was tossed around about the girls wanting Doug's meat and his meat being too big and really juicey. At least I think they were talking about my dinner....

We even went to the Axe. It never fails that if I leave home I will run into some member of the Baglole family and that night was no exception. Susan was there for her graduation. The Bagloles were my next door neighbors on Spring street and were my first real friends in summerside, leading eventually to my friendship with Daniel and his kicking my ass on the last day of school in grade 8 or 9. It seems I never run into the Bagloles in summerside anymore but I always see them in Fredericton where Julie went to school at UNB and now in Wolfville.

Overall it was great. Now later that week after returning home I went to Fredericton to my graduation. This was a satisfying event filled with a lot of junk food and farting, bringing a sense of closure to my time in the F dot and at UNB. I now feel ready to select a grad school and give it my 100.

Being around Neil for the weekend gave me a snapshot of what it's like to go away for school. I realize his going to Hali and my going to Fredericton are nearly the same thing, but it struck me as different to see it from another point of view. I'm now wondering, and even feeling warm to the idea, of what it would be like to go away away for school, say Waterloo or something. Maybe there's a great student life waiting for me away that I can't get here. Maybe I need to be more on my own to let myself become my own major influence or something. But they'll be no talk of going to Europe to find myself - selves aren't ever found - they can only be made.

Comments:
Still going through with the idea of graduate school? I dunno... you should probably go the gym. Well, Sammy P.A., I'm sure you've given it alot o' head thinking without it getting mixed up like a pan of eggs, so lay the boots to the academic world's ass.

Also, I don't remember ever kicking your ass, but if you insist...

/meat jokes are teh funny
 
I'm interested in that story about Dan kicking your butt. What did he do, prevent you from unlocking your cottage?

When you say I gave you a perspective on 'going away', are you talking about what I'm planning? (ie. prairies) If what you want is around the Maritimes, then go there. Otherwise, make no compromises.

/Don't bend over backwards
 
I like the idea of going somewhere for the heck of it, just because you can, and because you know it's not permanent it's easier to be random.

I only got lost a couple of times in Europe, but I had to ask for help, I would never have been able to find myself on my own.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?