Saturday, July 30, 2005

 

It's Tastes Like Diabetes

Only since someone suggest I do this, I'm going to start posting my shake recipies on the internet. Even if you don't plan on drinking this crap you should read on - it's pretty funny.

Most often my shakes are simply made in a lidded cup by shaking together the protien with preferably (for taste and nutrition reasons) in skim milk but if I want something I can throw in my kit bag I'll just put powder in a cup and then fill it at a fountain at school or whatever. This crap dissolves better in water for some reason, I think fanning suggested because the milk already has things in it besides just water.

When I'm feeling exotic and I'm at the apt. I'll mix up something good in the blender. The one pictured about is:
Two scoops Chocolate Protien Powder (the equivalent of one and one third cans of tuna)
Large Dose of vanilla ice cream (probably about three scoops. Some people have suggested I use frozen yogurt because ice cream has a few more calories and a tad more fat but that's not the point - these shakes are supposed to increase my total daily calories while providing a quick venue for protien intake)
Just a splash of skim milk because it helps the ice cream blend down to a drinkable consistancy, maybe about a quarter of a cup of milk. If i put too much the shake loses it's nice thickness.
Big God (probably 1 - 2 big spoonfuls) all natural peanut butter. Unlike most peanut butters it's actually all peanuts and tastes way better.

I blend that just enough to hide the PB and protien powder in the ice cream and then drink it, often using a side dish of something "hard carby" like a muffin. These shakes are used for between meals, not as a meal replacement.

Oh wait, I had promised humor.... Let's see, funny.... funny... Oh how about this:

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION FOR BLENDER DRINK LISTED ABOVE:
Protien - enough that if you don't gain some weight it's not because you don't have enough protien
Total Calories - Ya, if you're into counting calories drinking one of these babies might be a mistake
Total Sugar - I try not to think about that because it can't possibly be healthy. If I drink one of these that's a bit bigger than normal it makes my head feel funny and then I get real tired. It tastes like what I imagine diabetes must taste like.
Fat - Ya, I'ld say there's lots in there from the ice cream and peanut butter
Recommended daily intake - I'ld say anyone with any real education behind them wouldn't recommend taking these in. I'm pretty extreme and even I keep it limited to one a day and CERTAINLY not every day.

Other recipies I've tried are adding a banana which just made it taste funny and increased the diabetic type symptoms so I'll be avoiding that in the future. I've tried the chocolate mint flavor by its' self in ice cream and milk and it was great, almost as good as a treat from dairy queen.

I'll leave you with a little piece of advice my barber gave me - "Spend lots of time with the people who love you and to hell with the ones that don't." Jack the Barber is a national treasure in my opinion. I don't know another hair stylist who's fit to hold his comb jar.

Comments:
Thanks for recipes, and kudos on the excellent entry title (It Tastes Like Diabetes).
 
My own personal favorite:
-yesterday's leftover coffee (strong and bitter)
-the brown mushy banana sitting on the counter
-plain yogurt
I think it tastes good, some disagree. I however don't exercise quite enough to drink like you do between meals.
 
No I don't think it's that you don't exercise enough to drink like this.... I think it's that I don't care if I get a bit fatter but most people would
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?