Wednesday, May 11, 2005

 

I am now by all reasonable definitions a "Powerlifter"

Well Saturday was my big powerlifting meet, the 2005 Nova Scotia Provincial Powerlifting Championships. I am proud to say the day could not possibly have gone better. I had an amazing amount of fun, didn't get hurt, and finished the day (I was 1% nervous about this because I realized that there's a rule that anyone who misses all 3 of their lifts in any event is not allowed to continue in the remaining events, i.e. someone who has 3 squats not deep enough is done for the day and this did happen to a couple lifters).

Actually I went 9 for 9 in the Powerlifting, getting full 3 white lights on all of my squats, bench presses and deadlifts which means I was able to do them to full compliance with the IPF rulebook which is really quiet an achievement - they actually mentioned me having a 9 for 9 day in the write up on the CPU webpage and a lot of people there told me I have picture perfect form, which is something I think I need to continue with.

I was able to achieve the title of 2005 Nova Scotia Provincial Junior Men's 100 Kilogram weight class Powerlifting Champion - I won my division! My numbers were:

Squat
130 kg = 285 pounds
147.5 kg = 325lbs (previous personal best)
155 kg = 340lbs (new personal lifetime best by 15lbs)

Bench Press ("with the clips, yup yup un hu that's right")
120 kg = 265lbs
135 kg = 295lbs (previous personal best)
142.5kg = 315lbs (new personal lifetime best by 20lbs)

Deadlift ("light weight, ya buddy" - this was actually yelled out by someone durring one of my lifts. It seems Ronnie Coleman had some followers in the audience)
157.5 kg = 345lbs (used to finish my goal of getting a thousand pound total between my best three lifts)
170kg = 375lbs (previous personal best)
177.5 kg = 390 lbs (new personal lifetime best by 15 lbs)

Total of best squat, bench, and dead = 475kg, 1045lbs (this is how the final scores are added up)

As you can see I destroyed my previous personal best in every lift, which I thought was just amazing and far exceeded my goal of just finishing the competition with at least 3 for 9 lifting, regardless of how light I had to go to do that. I hadn't factored in how pumped I would be for lifting in front of a room full of people and my brother and my dad were really great about cheering for me, and I seemed to be getting a great amount of support from people I'ld never actually met.

Meeting other lifters at the competition was great also, really nice to meet other people who finally "get it" when it comes to the way you like training. I was excited/nervous the night before so I hardly slept at all, maybe only like two hours but I was so running on adrenaline that it didn't matter at all. I'm already considering doing the Atlantic meet in September in Yarmouth, today I was on Mapquest and I saw it might not be too crazy long of a trip if I get the Digby Ferry from Saint John. There's rumblings of a possible meet in Charlottetown in December also and if they end up having one I swear I will miss final exams if necessary to train and lift in this meet.

I have some pictures I will post later, when i crop them down. My dad took them for me and he was actually unaware of the zoom on my camera so they're from a little far back.

I hope you're all having as good of times as I am!

Comments:
That's awesome Sammy P.A! Wish I coulda been there to cheer. Unfortunately, Sammy, this blog entry is getting a red light in the spelling department (I'ld???).
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?